Saturday 13 December 2008

But you don't look disabled?

I've reached a perilous period in my life, balancing between having everything I've dreamed of since I can remember dreaming, and crashing into a harsh reality of unemployment with 'I don't think you'll fit into our workplace, we need people with good communication skills you see.'

Life must be terrifying for those who rely on their hands rather than mouths for words. I have a similar issue with our increasingly popularised need for language skills. Only, with me its the 90% percent of language that is body language thats the main issue. I can speak, no problem, but when it comes to understanding people I'm a tourist stuck in a foreign land with a very limited translator dictionary. I imagine sometimes for others its like they've walked up to that odd person clutching a small dictionary jotted with learned and purely guesswork translations and tried to engage them in conversation.

Its called aspergers syndrome, on the same spectrum as autism. No, rainman is not a good film to turn to for explanation.

Anyway, I thought I'd write stuff, while my life is approaching a fundimental point, university has a funny way of giving you too much time to think on the future even when piled with work. Next year is when I enter the big wide world and get a full time job, its scary to think about but I certainly have no shortage of plans.

I'm going to earn money, save as much as humanly possible and buy a house that I can see myself living the rest of my life in. My big goal in life so far has been to get a degree, in six months that'll be done bar a huge problem so I'll have to have another long term goal to work towards, or a couple.

Its not going to be easy, but its going to be possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Online Advertising